2013 Super Taikyu Title Showdown at Autopolis

6 November


PETRONAS Syntium Team won all three sprint races at Suzuka at the last round
PETRONAS Syntium Team clinched sixth consecutive Super Taikyu title with one round to go
Title decider between the PETRONAS Syntium Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 #1 and #28 this weekend

Japan, 6 November 2013 – The Super Taikyu 2013 title may have already been sealed at the previous round in Suzuka, but six-time Super Taikyu champion PETRONAS Syntium Team will still be racing hard this weekend at the final round of the season at Autopolis. The PETRONAS Syntium Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 #1 and #28 are 33 and 26.5 points ahead of the GTNet Advan Nissan GT-R #81 respectively in the standings, with only 21 points available. The 2013 Super Taikyu championship title will hence be decided between cars #1 and #28 this Sunday. 

Dato’ David Wong, team principal of PETRONAS Syntium Team said, "It has been a long season and it is absolutely fantastic that we have achieved our target before the last race. In the last six years we have raced in Super Taikyu, our car #1 has come out tops for five years in a row. We have already won the overall title, so whichever car eventually takes the 2013 title this Sunday is not crucial. I am proud of the team for coming out tops despite facing stiff competition from the GT-Rs.”

Starting the season with an aim to clinch its sixth consecutive title, the PETRONAS Syntium Team won every round of the Super Taikyu Series so far. Qualifying in third and fourth at the first round at Sportsland Sugo, the scheduled three-hour race was then cancelled due to sudden heavy snowfall. Things got going at the second round of the series that was held at the brand new Inje Speedium track in Korea when Fariqe Hairuman and Jono Lester each took the SLS AMG GT3 #28 to victory in both 45-minutes sprint races. 

Back to Japan for the third round at Twin Ring Motegi, the SLS AMG GT3 car #1 started in P4 and won the five-hour race. Sister car #28 was leading much of the race until the last three laps when brake wear cost them the win; thankfully managing to recover in time to finish second. 

The last hour of the seven-hour race at Fuji Speedway at Round 4 sent everyone’s hearts racing to their mouths, as the SLS AMG GT3 #1 had the GT-R #81 breathing down its neck, closing in fast and erasing the lead increasingly. As luck would have it, the GT-R ran into a spot of trouble in the closing minutes of the race for a hard-fought win for car #1. Faced with one setback after another, car #28 simply finished the race and brought the car home safely.

Falling on the same weekend as the 12-hour Malaysia Merdeka Endurance Race, the fifth round was held in rainy and slippery weather at Okayama. After encountering multiple safety car periods and dangerous track conditions, the partnership of Tatsuya Kataoka and Fariqe successfully took the SLS AMG GT3 #28 from second on the grid to the chequered flag; though having to put up with pressure from the ThreeBond Nissan Technical College Nissan GT-R #24. Sister car #1 driven by Nobuteru Taniguchi and Melvin Moh followed up in third place.

The sixth round at Suzuka Circuit had a different format of three 40-minute sprint races. Taniguchi set the pace by winning Race 1 on Saturday with the SLS AMG GT3 #1. Then Kataoka won Race 2 from P3 in sister car #28, followed by Fariqe’s pole-to-flag victory for Race 3 in the same car. To top it all off, the team secured its sixth Super Taikyu title in a row, with one more round to go.

For more information, request for photos or any enquiries, kindly contact or visit the official website at